Early Intervention and children of determination awareness sessions
Families: The Key to Effective Early Childhood Intervention Webinar Series consists of four, 90 minute webinars delivered in August, 2022 in collaboration with Georgetown University. The webinars will increase awareness and knowledge of contemporary early childhood intervention for children of determination or those at risks of developmental delays and their families.
The webinars described are based on the theoretical and practical framework of the Georgetown University Center for Child and Human Development (GU CCHD) that is applied to all our endeavors. The program is grounded in a core set of values that:
- Engage families, youth, and consumers in the development, implementation, and evaluation of GU CCHD activities;
- Ensure cultural and linguistic competence in our work and the systems we support; and
- Promote approaches that are family and child-centered, culturally and linguistically competent, community-based, integrated, strength-based, and inclusive.
The webinars will provide a foundation of contemporary practices related to children of determination. The webinars offer practical, effective, and sustainable strategies that promote the participation of children of determination in all family and community activities.
The webinars will help caregivers and professionals to create a partnership to use everyday activities and routines as learning opportunities. The webinars will focus on helping families promote engagement and participation in family activities.
Early intervention systems across the globe are challenged to include families in all aspects of intervention and empower them to be collaborate with providers to meet the needs of their children within the context of their family. The webinars described below apply the principles of evidence-based, culturally competent, family centered early intervention practices.
Objectives of Families: The Key to Effective Early Childhood Intervention webinar series
Participants who attend the webinar series will be able to:
- Describe major developmental milestones that occur in the first 5 years of life;
- Describe major components of contemporary service delivery to young children of determination;
- Describe how to partner with the early intervention service providers; and
- Describe how best to engage children in everyday activities.
- Foundations of Early Childhood Intervention for Families: This webinar will introduce critical frameworks guiding early intervention practices for supporting development, learning, and behavior. Topics will include developmental milestones, and the learning process. Date 10.08.2022, to attend the session click here
- Disability and Developmental Delay: What Do These Terms Mean: This webinar will explain the characteristics of common developmental disabilities identified in the first 5 years of life. We will discuss and differentiate Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, Communication Disorders, Developmental Delay, Intellectual Disability, and Social-Emotional Disorders. Date 17.08.2022, to attend the session click here
- Family Participation in the ECI Process: During this session participants will develop specific skills that are needed to participate in the early intervention system. Skills include developing an Ecomap, creating an IFSP, participating in an intervention session, and documenting changes observed. Date 24.08.2022, to attend the session click here
- Effective Practices: Learning through Everyday Activities: This session will discuss practices that promote child engagement in activities, communication, and participation. Topics will include: behavior management, play, modifications/adaptations and assistive technology, practice, toys, etc. The session will also include the importance of caregiver self-care. Date 31.08.2022, to attend the session click here